If you are local to Rhode Island, or luckily enough to live over the border in neighboring Massachusetts, you need to get to the Wicked Tulips Flower Farm, the only u-pick tulip farm in New England! They are located in Johnston, RI diagonally across from Dame Orchards! Picture this, you’re frolicking through a field of perfect tulips of every size and color while your favorite melody plays in the background, with not a care in the world. Wait, you don’t have that fantasy in your head? It must be just me then! But, I bet you like flowers! I knew this place would be for you! I’ll do the frolicking and you can do the picking! I already picked enough flowers to last me for weeks anyways!
Wicked Tulips Flower Farm is a US Grown, pesticide free, bee friendly and unique farm! With over 250,000 tulips planted in more colors, shapes and sizes than you could dream of, this is surely something that everyone can enjoy! Think of the family pictures! Get your “selfie” face ready! Once you enter you will see their show garden (no picking here) and you can view all their varieties and pre-order them for fall delivery at the bulb tent (white tents). Beyond the show garden is the picking garden where you can walk up and down the rows and choose as many tulips as you desire for $1/stem. They have buckets for your convenience. Once your done bring your tulips and bucket to the wrapping station where you will wrap up your tulips in paper for the ride home. There is staff able to assist if you need help!
I am a huge supporter of an organic lifestyle! I am so happy that Wicked Tulips Flower Farm offers organic tulips and is a bee friendly farm! This was the biggest reason I decided to check them out. Just because we are not eating the flowers, choosing organic and bee friendly products is better in the long run. Bees, flying insects such as butterflies/dragonflies and some birds are in danger due to the overuse of pesticides in farming. This includes your little flower farm you have created in your backyard. These creatures collect pollen, eat seeds and drink the water that is contaminated with pesticide runoff. Even if you don’t use pesticides in your garden, chances are the bulbs and seeds you planted might have them hidden in there. Please try and buy organic bulbs for your garden and support local farmers like Wicked Tulips who choose to leave the “junk” out of their products!
Things to know before you go:
- You need a ticket. If you visit during the weekend you must pre-purchase your tickets online. No tickets will be sold at the door on weekends. Children 3 and under are free. 4-15 $2.50 and 16 plus $5.00. They are already sold out for Mother’s Day weekend. However, you do not need a ticket for the weekday (it is less crowded as well).
- Hours: The u-pick field is open 7 days a week. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to 6pm. Wednesdays and Fridays 10am-7:30pm. Weekends-Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm.
- Purchase bulbs: You can purchase bulbs for next fall. They are locally grown bulbs and pesticide free! You can order online or at the farm.
- Cash/Card: Cash or card is accepted, however cash is preferred!
- Photography is allowed and they love seeing all the photos on social media! But please no tripods!
Go tiptoe through those tulips and have a wonderful time!